Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 8 year old mini dachshund has started throwing up at

Customer Question

my 8 year old mini dachshund has started throwing up at night - usually 2 to 3 hours after going to bed for the night and lasting for about 2 hours. The throw up is usually clear or fo***** *****. This does not happen during the day but she has starting moaning a bit during daytime naps. She is not off her food and bowel function is normal. This has been going on for 8 nights and neither of us are getting any sleep. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me Heidi's feeding schedule, please? Her vomiting at the same post-prandial (after eating) time each night suggests delayed gastric emptying - her stomach isn't emptying itself normally after her evening meal. This doesn't necessarily indicate a primary stomach disorder because there are many extra-stomach (outside the stomach) causes of delayed emptying; for example, pancreatitis, enteritis, and hepatitis. If an antiemetic isn't helpful - and it could actually worsen delayed emptying by quieting the stomach further - a motility drug such as Reglan (metoclopramide) which stimulates gastric emptying should be considered. More important, however, is clarifying why Heidi is behaving in this matter and that's done by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Heidi eats Ideal Balance Chicken & Potato formula and has kibble in her bowl all the time. She eats when she gets up and then again in the evening, normally about 2 tablespoons at a time. When she throws up, there is never any food in it. If she's had a big drink of water before bed, sometimes it will be clear liquid which looks like water, or it will be a fo***** ***** liquid. But never food - that seems to pass through unaffected. She has had a Lipase Snap test and Chem 10 profile and all have come back in the normal range. X-ray shows no blockage. I will suggest to her vet the Reglan. Anything else I should ask him about?

Thank you for the additional information. I'm pleased to hear that the specCPL was performed. Pancreatitis is one less worry. Can you upload a copy of Heidi's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. If I can't see anything unusual in the Chem 10 either a more inclusive diagnostic panel and/or ultrasounding Heidi's abdomen will be indicated. Ultrasound is more sensitive of an imaging modality for the gastrointestinal tract itself.

Hi Rodger,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?