Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 14 year old pit/boxer mix has lost s ability to stand

Customer Question

Our 14 year old pit/boxer mix has lost his ability to stand up. We help him up and he is very weak. He cannot use one front leg at all, his paw curls up. Is there anything we can do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that Eugene is having these difficulties. I imagine that if he has been on rimadyl and steroids (hopefully not both at the same time?) this is a chronic issue for him that has suddenly progressed.

The only thing that I have had success with in these situations outside of the medications you are currently using is acupuncture. It really can help with dogs to stimulate neurologic response and I have had a positive experience in most cases of getting some improvement using this technique.

That and physical therapy can also help build strength but if he has lost a lot of muscling this will be quite a challenge. Acupuncture would be my first and foremost recommendation

I am happy to try to find someone in your area if you are interested?

Please let me know if this information is helpful, I know this must be terribly difficult on you both going through the progressive weakness...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Eugene. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman