Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pit has developed two fluid filled sores on her nd leg

Customer Question

My pit bull has developed two fluid filled sores on her hind leg that haven't cleared up yet and it has been 2 weeks. One of them drained today but the other just won't seem to heal. Can you tell by looking what it is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid ou sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has it been present?

Does it appear filled with fluid or red/inflamed?

Do they look like pimples or pustules?

What did the fluid look like when it was drained?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached 3 pictures as reference:Picture 3806 shows the first sore. It has actually improved a bit, but has been present for about 2 weeks. At its worst I thought it might have been a bot fly the way it looked because it was very swollen, red and hard, but I was mistaken. She licked it a lot into an open sore before I got the big collar on her to keep her away from it. Since then it has been very slow to heal.The second sore (picture 3807) developed about a week ago. That sore is about an inch away from her first (positioned on a scar from knee surgery she had about 3 years ago). This one however was much softer, more like a bubble than the solid mass of the first one. This second sore swelled over the last few days and then she rubbed it open last night while I was trimming her nails on the carpet. It was a mixture of blood and white fluid. I worked on it to drain the rest of it and then put some hydrogen peroxide to clean it. It continued to slowly drain like that for the rest of the evening. The picture shows what it looked like this morning.The third picture (3809) shows a new sore as of yesterday on her lower lip. I figured I'd include it just in case it might be related. It looks like she's rubbed it somehow. It isn't inflamed yet. It is just red.I've been applying Neosporin to the first 2 sores trying to keep it on. The collar she has isn't 100% effective in keeping her from licking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

By white fluid, do you mean clear or opaque white?

Did it have an odor?

How often have you been applying Neosporin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unfortunately didn't get to see the color of the initial discharge as it was smeared on the carpet underneath her. What was left was opaque though. I don't think there was much of an odor, but I didn't think to get close and check for that. I applied Neosporin twice last night before bed (twice because she licked it off the first time. I rubbed it in to the sore for about 30 seconds though). I applied it again this morning (again she licked the first coating off) rubbing it in like the night before. I have not put anything on her lower lip though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the duration of the wounds and her self-trauma (licking, rubbing, etc), it will be difficult to tease out the trigger for these signs. Often if we do have bots, the discharge tends to stay clear (due to antibacterial secretions from the larvae). Anyway, based on your photos, opaque discharge, and since we have the dermatitis present on the chin (which looks like contact based spread) plus a second lesion so close, I'd be most concerned that we have a bacterial induced abscess here. And I have to note that with the duration of these signs, there is a risk that the initial one was started by a foreign body (ie grass awn, seed, etc) getting into the tissues).

In this case, while superficial dermatitis (like that on her chin) can often be managed with topical antibiotics, abscesses into the tissue usually cannot (since creams will be hard pressed to reach all bacteria within the skin and this leads to secondary abscesses like we have here). Therefore, in this situation, we'd really be best to have her on a course of systemic/oral antibiotics from her vet. This would just clear the infection from the inside out, counter her continued inoculation of the wounds with bacteria from her saliva, and help get this healed. Of course, if something particularly resistant was suspected, then we may need her vet to culture the discharge first.

Overall, based on your photos and everything you have reported, this appears to be a bacterial based infection within the tissues and is spreading both locally but now also on her chin due to contact with the area. Therefore, your topical care is good for the chin but we'd need oral antibiotics to tackle those spreading abscesses on her backside.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Elleigh. How is everything going?
nekovet