How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Joey Your Own Question
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4695
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Joey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 13 week old puppy allitte over 4lbs ate 250 mg of

Customer Question

My 13 week old puppy allitte over 4lbs ate 250 mg of magnesium. Plse advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This is concerning, given how small Lucy is and how much was ingested. This has potential to cause toxicity, if she ate the whole thing. My calculation is she ingested a dose of 138 mg/kg. I must recommend you proceed to your closest veterinary ER now for her to receive support and potentially get her to vomit this back up.

Toxicity with large dosages like this can cause symptoms such as include drowsiness, weakness, low heart rate, low blood pressure, low calcium levels, respiratory depression and heart arrhythmias.

If the ER vet can get her to vomit this up and the administer something to try to absorb the rest (activated charcoal) that might be very helpful. She also would need her lab work checked to see what her magnesium level is as well as calcium.

Because she is so small it is much better to err on the side of caution and have her examined on emergency rather than wait for her to show symptoms.

Please let me know what questions you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How soon would she have symtoms?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Every dog is different. If she truly did ingest this and is going to experience toxic symptoms, then it might take an hour or maybe two. But I would expect to see something within that time period.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am just following up to find out how everything went with Lucy. I hope she has done well.