Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ten week old puppy attempting to urinate more frequently

Customer Question

Ten week old puppy attempting to urinate more frequently w/less result & same w/BM. Just passed small poop, last poop was half normal size this morning. Eating & drinking well so far. Have vet appt 9/16/15 for boosters & check.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid ou sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Is the urine any darker or cloudy then usual? Any blood?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could have eaten stones, leaves, grass, etc. appetite for food good, BMs have returned to full normal. She urinates clear, pale yellow initially, then makes frequent unsuccessful attempts when not playing. No blood or foul smell noted.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on her signs, we do have a few concerns. First, we do need monitor closely if she eats all sorts of odd items like those you have noted. Each can potentially cause a blockage and could lead to the fecal straining you saw. Since those signs have settled since your initial post, I would just note that we need to make sure that she is closely watched and these types of ingestions prevented (either by limiting where she has access or considering a basket muzzle to reduce her chance of picking up odd items at this point). Otherwise, if you do see these signs again, then you could consider adding a fiber supplement (ie all bran, a spoonful of canned pumpkin) +/- a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, etc) to her meals to help keep her regular and try to offset any risk of blockage.

Otherwise, we need to focus on these urinary signs. In her case, our main concern would be a bladder infection or a possible issue with urinary crystals (the precursor to bladder stones and can cause bladder irritation such that they strain as if they need to urinate). In this case, since she is due to see her vet soon, it'd be ideal to consider moving that appointment up if she appears uncomfortable. Otherwise, we'd want to plan to collect and take a urine sample to her visit on the 16th. Her vet can check the sample and her to determine if we do have a bladder infection or if she is prone to crystals. Depending on which is found, her vet can dispense treatment to help address this for her and reduce her discomfort and straining.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fannie. How is everything going?
nekovet