Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Fiona our 4 year old 40 lb mix breed american bulldog. Has

Customer Question

Hi Dr Fiona our 4 year old 40 lb mix breed american bulldog. Has had mucus and brown stinky diarrhea. She has normal pink gums. She is eating rice but not interested in dry food. She seemed to be doing better and her poo was getting harder for a few days. When I got home from work today she had a mess on the rug she is drinking ans no vomiting at all.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

I am sorry to hear that Lollani has passed loose stools with mucous and her appetite is less than usual.

Mucous is secreted by the colon in response to irritation/inflammation. The most common causes for this in dogs include eating something new, eating foreign material or particular types of gastrointestinal parasites (for example whipworms), or inflammatory colitis.

Has she been fed new treats or foods or has she gotten into anything she should not have?

If so I suspect that may be the trouble for your girl. Not that there is anything wrong with the treats or food, but they just may not agree with her.

At this point since she feels pretty well otherwise you might try starting with a 24 hours food fast to slow down intestinal spasms and reduce irritation.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. I like the kao-pectate formulation with kaolin and pectin better then Pepto Bismol as Pepto has salicylates which are in the same family as aspirin, and can further irritate the intestines.

After her food fast then feed a bland diet with added fiber to soothe her colon for a few days. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat after cooking, and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber. Add probiotics to one of her meals daily like Fortiflora or Benebac to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels.

I also recommend submitting a fresh stool sample to her veterinarian just to make sure that she hasn't picked up a parasite. Sometimes we will worm with a broad spectrum wormer like Panacur (fenbendazole) just in case, as it is easy to do and won't hurt her and may help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.