Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Sir my German Shepherd has fever since past 3 nights with no

Customer Question

Sir my German Shepherd has fever since past 3 nights with no other symptoms. Presently his temp is 103.2 F, which I have recorded an hour back. 3 nights ago, he was panting excessively so I recorded his rectal temp. It was 102.8 F. He also had some 15 ticks despite the tick collar in place. So I had removed the ticks manually.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ark. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

100 mg of doxycycline twice daily would be a good dose for a 22 to 44 pound dog; how much does he weigh?

Have any blood tests been done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Madam.
I have been recently posted in a remote area where vet consultation and blood tests are not available. So without the reports I started Doxy 100 mg twice daily. Today is Day 3 of the regime. Ark is about 34kg.
I'm traveling back to my native place with Ark so that I can get his investigations and medications started.
Is there some effective investigation to rule out tick fever after the medication has been started, as I suppose the pathogen would be absent from the blood?? Pls suggest.
Thank you again for your guidance
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If Ark is 34 kg, the dose of doxycycline would be 300 to 400 mg of doxycycline once to twice daily.

You can still do blood tests for tick disease, even after starting treatment. We test for antibodies against the pathogen, not the actual pathogen. If he is making antibodies against a particular tick disease, he will still have antibodies even after being treated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Madam.
Is there some effective investigation to rule out tick fever after the medication has been started, as I suppose the pathogen would be absent from the blood??
Also I'm concerned about the safety profile of doxy, as I have been told that a dog's 'liver' is not as strong as a human liver; Plus doxy must be continued for a long duration. Pls suggest.
Thank you again for your guidance
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Always give doxycycline with food never on an empty stomach.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I have had dogs take this dose of doxycyline ( 10 mg per kg of body weight once to twice daily) for years, even longer. Dogs livers are just as strong as ours, unless he has a liver disease or condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doc.
This really helps.
May I keep you posted about Ark's progress, if its convenient for you? Is it a good idea to email you at your personal id? I'll grateful!
Thank youCustomerKaushal***@******.***
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You can stay in touch, but only in this format. Please do let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer. You can still get back to me with updates after rating. I hope he starts to get better soon. Rebecca