Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What does it mean when a dog coughs up blood?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. There are a few things to be concerned with when they cough up blood. There could be a lesion anywhere from the trachea to the lungs. If it is an older dog, then a tumor in the respiratory tract is definitely a concern. Besides a tumor, there could be trauma to the lungs, a pneumonia or some type of parasite, especially heartworms. Either way, coughing up blood is not a good sign and usually requires immediate veterinary attention because the situation can be serious and get much worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If

you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more

information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to

diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an

exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking for a friend who has a dog who was coughing up blood. She said she was going to take her dog to a vet. but you said what she thought was wrong. I am not in need of further services.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. How is her dog doing now?