Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We think Our German Sheppard may have eaten or ingested a

Customer Question

We think Our German Sheppard may have eaten or ingested a small amount of clay targets/pigeons earlier today. He wouldn't eat his dinner, but he did eat a couple treats. Other than not eating he appears to be normal. We have since learned that the box the targets came in does have a warning that says "the ingestion of clay targets by livestock or pets may result in severe illness or death." Should we be concerned? What signs should we watch for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. The biggest concern at this point would be a gastrointestinal obstruction caused by eating the targets, not necessarily because they are toxic. In addition, if there are some intact shards of the target, it can cause a perforation of the gastrointestinal tract. I would monitor for any vomiting, bloody stool, further lack of appetite and/or abdominal pain. If you notice 1 episode of vomiting tonight, I wouldn't be too concerned, but if vomiting continues tonight, or he seems to be painful in the abdomen and cannot get comfortable, I would have him evaluated by your nearest emergency vet immediately. If he remains stable through the night, but still won't eat or starts vomiting/having bloody stools; I would definitely bring him in to be seen. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If

you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more

information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to

diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an

exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.