Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Is 200 mg of ibuprofen and 30 mg of pseudoephedrine harmful

Customer Question

Is 200 mg of ibuprofen and 30 mg of pseudoephedrine harmful to a dog over 90 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. While both of these medications can be extremely toxic to a dog, those doses would unlikely cause symptoms in a 90 lb dog. Usually, the minimum dose to see symptoms of toxicity with ibuprofen is 25 mg/kg. For a dog his size, that would be over 1000 mg. Now, that is assuming a single over dose. Even at smaller doses given over time, ibuprofen can cause kidney failure in dogs. For pseudoephedrine, a dog his size would need to consume 200mg to show clinical signs of toxicity. Now, every dog is different, so some dogs can be more sensitive to some medications than others. I would monitor for any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, bloody stool, increased anxiety, restlessness, dilated pupils, increased breathing rate and increased heart rate. If any of these issues are noted, then immediate veterinary attention is recommended. If the ingestion was within the past 30 minutes, you can always induce vomiting with 6 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally. It may not be necessary with the small doses, but just a precaution if it would make you feel better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If

you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more

information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to

diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an

exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ransom. How is everything going?
Dr. John