Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 8 year old golden retriever is suddenly not able to relax

Customer Question

My 8 year old golden retriever is suddenly not able to relax or lie down. She walks more slowly, had trouble climbing the step into the house and can sit but not lie down. I tried to help her and it seemed it was painful. Appetite is good.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Jewel is having difficulties tonight.

Can you please tell me whether her gums are nice and pink and moist, her abdomen is not swollen at all, or any other symptoms that might help guide how best to help Jewel?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize if you are having difficulties with the site tonight and your Jewel is still displaying these symptoms.

I am online another 30 minutes tonight if you are able to respond

Tonight I would recommend veterinary er if any of the signs below are presented:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope that this information is helpful and will be here if you are able to view my responses and have additional questions for another 30 minutes...you both are in my thoughts this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and Jewel to see if she settled down last night or if you had to take her to a veterinary er? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jewel. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman