Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog has seizures. he is on pheno 2grains two times a day

Customer Question

my dog has seizures. he is on pheno 2grains two times a day
he had episodes yesterday and last night (the last was 5:30 AM) but this time he is still very uncoordinated and falling a LOT. I can hardly walk him. Im concerned but i dont know what to do- if I take him all the way to the emergency vet what can they even do? or is this a warning that another seizure is coming?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** I am sorry to hear about Thriller's seizures. It sounds like Triller is having a prolonged post ictal phase (the phase after the seizure) or is having secondary weakness in his body in general. Were you with him during his seizures? Did you witness if he hurt himself, especially his head? It is possible that his incoordination at this time is due to trauma from the seizure. At this time, it would be ok to continue to monitor him. I would have a physical exam done if this continues until tomorrow though. Also, I would have his blood phenobarbital levels checked so that if there is room to safely increase his dose, this can be done so that he does not have more seizures. I would not increase his dose until bloodwork is done though. If his condition does change -- for example, worsening incoordination, then he does need to be rechecked sooner.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what further questions you have.