Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog sounds like she has a cold and has to blow her nose,

Customer Question

My dog sounds like she has a cold and has to blow her nose, she went to the vet and was giving guafensen and amoxicillian. That was three weeks ago, nothing has changed. Is there anything i can buy at a local store to give her? I really dont want to spend a few hundred more dollars and get no result
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your little one is having nasal congestion and the medications your vet prescribed were not successful in resolving her signs.

I can give you some guidelines to try for her to see if this resolves her symptoms but unfortunately with her age if there is no improvement then a repeat veterinary exam might be warranted. If it is only nasal congestion and no cough, discharge, nor energy/ appetite change you can request a nasal drop to help reduce her congestion. I typically will use a triple antibiotic with steroid eye drop in the nose twice daily off label in these situations to provide relief... there is a possibility that your vet will dispense this without requiring an exam since she has been seen for this recently.

- Steam of the shower several times throughout the day in 10 minute intervals to dilate the nasal passages and provide relief
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to reduce the nasal congestion. May cause sedation and not effective in every patient so if there is no change with benadryl potentially try claritin at 0.25 mg/ pound daily as an alternative
- A humidifier in the home or room that she tends to lay in will help act as a decongestant

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!