Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog sounds like she has a cold and has to blow her nose,

Customer Question

My dog sounds like she has a cold and has to blow her nose, she went to the vet and was giving guafensen and amoxicillian. That was three weeks ago, nothing has changed. Is there anything i can buy at a local store to give her? I really dont want to spend a few hundred more dollars and get no result
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

I would suggest one of two options in this situation:

AN antihistamine, such as Chlorpheniramine Maleate (2 to 4 mg, every 12 hours), OR a nasal decongestant drop such as Little Remedies with Phenylephrine, 1 drop in each nostril every 6-12 hours, for up to 3 days.

If the problem persists, then there may be a serious internal problem such as a polyp, fungal infection, or foreign object lodged in the nasal passages. Testing such as a Rhinoscopy may be necessary if the problem persists.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will also weigh in on this question. It sounds like your dog may have inhaled allergies such as pollen, dust or mold. I would recommend trying Benadryl 1mg/pound of dog or the Chlorpheniramine as recommended above. If you live in Colorado, you may also explore the idea of nasal mites. If this continues more than a few weeks, I would also recommend seeing your regular veterinarian again about this problem or ask for a referral to a different vet for a second opinion. It may be helpful to bring a video of the sneezing episodes as this can give them a better idea of possible causes. I would go to the vet as soon as possible if you see any nasal discharge (especially colored- yellow, green or bloody), or if your dog starts coughing as well as sneezing.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing? Any more sneezing or nasal discharge? Is she feeling better? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda