Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 44 lb field spaniel ate some Hollytone plant fertilizer

Customer Question

My 44 lb field spaniel ate some Hollytone plant fertilizer about 11. She vomited about 1, but seems absolutely normal now. Gums normal, no restlessness, etc. How concerned should I be.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much do you think she had?

What are its ingredients?

What did the vomit look like?

Is it this one @ http://www.espoma.com/product/holly-tone/?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now I have not had a reply from yourself about Emmie and those questions I asked. These are quite important since fertilizer in high doses is dangerous. It can cause GI upset (vomiting, drooling, appetite loss, diarrhea) as you have seen, but in high doses can also cause blockages, liver damage, and even neurological signs.

Now if she had the brand I sent you a link to, then we can at least appreciate this is just a fertilizer exposure and that we have don't have to panic about additional pesticides. And as long as the dose she has had wasn't a large one, then we can try some supportive care for her. To start, you can put her on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Furthermore, you can consider putting her on a light/easily digestible diet for the next few days. Examples would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). You want to offer small frequent feeds to make the stomach's work easy for it and I would advise that the diet be continued for a few days before weaning back to her normal diet.

Overall it is positive that she is otherwise well at the moment. Still, high doses of this can cause harm. Therefore, we'd want to monitor her closely for the next 48 hours and use the above supportive care for her gut. As long as she remains as she is over the next few days, then we'd not be panicked by the dose she has had. But any signs of her feeling unwell, belly discomfort, drinking excessively, yellow discoloration to her gums, or neurological signs; and we'd want her checked by her vet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )