Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My yorkie are some red yew berries. She is fine. Has pooped

Customer Question

My yorkie are some red yew berries. She is fine. Has pooped them out with the skins and black seeds. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

You are very lucky that Madison had no side effects from this ingestion. According to the Pet Poison Hotline:

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs, Horses, Cows, Birds

Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe

Common signs to watch for:

• Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Life-threatening changes in heart rate and blood pressure
  • Dilated pupils
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Death

This common evergreen (meaning the plant stays green all year round) is extremely poisonous to all species (e.g., dogs, cats, horses, cattle, humans, etc.). All parts of the plant (including the succulent, red berries) are very poisonous, as they contain taxines. There are several variety of plants in the Taxus spp., including the Japanese Yew and English Yew. When ingested by dogs and cats, clinical signs of drooling, vomiting, weakness, difficulty breathing, life-threatening changes in heart rate and blood pressure, dilated pupils, tremors, seizures, coma and death may be seen. Recently, florists have started to use Japanese Yew to make wreaths for the holidays. As horses are very susceptible to yew poisoning, make sure not to have this around the barn or pasture!

Poison type: Plants

Scientific name: Taxus spp.

Alternate names: Taxus, Japanese yew, English yew, Chinese yew, tree of death, evergreen, taxine

If she has passed these without any of the above clinical signs then you should be out of the high risk time period because the gi signs will be noted (drooling, vomiting, weakness, respiratory changes) within the first 4-6 hours of ingestion and if they are passing in her stools that means we likely are > 12 hours post exposure

So monitoring for any signs listed and if seen then please consider a veterinary er sooner rather than later. Also limiting her access to where the plant is in the future is advised.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. She actually has a vet appt. tomorrow so I will go over it with the Doctor then.
Have a great day.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You as well!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online an additional 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Madison. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman