Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We have two female chow chow puppies four months old. they

Customer Question

we have two female chow chow puppies four months old. they were playing hard in the yard,and they also found a garden frog. about an hour has passed and now one of the puppies now has a swollen lower lip.it does not appear to bother her, but we are concerned. could it be from the frog...thank you............peter w. kors
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It sounds like this is an allergic reaction, probably to the skin or oils of the frog, we can help her out if you'd let me know her approximate weight please. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have replied twice her weight is 32 lbs, . the swelling seems to be subsiding as i have tried soo long to get back into this site
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response this one came through, I'm sorry for your trouble. What you should do is give her 25mg (a full human sized) benadryl capsule (or generic) give this to her 2x daily for the next two days. This will help take care of the lip swelling much more rapidly. Since she had an allergic reaction once, the next reactions can be more and more severe so be sure to watch carefully for further exposure to frogs when you can. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan