Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My mini schnauzer is constipated what can I give m to loosen

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer is constipated what can I give him to loosen his bowels?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Is he straining to defecate?

3- How long since last time he had a bowel movement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He weighs approximately 26 pounds. Yes he is straining to defecate. Yesterday last time he had bowel movement.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food.

3- As a stool softener you can give him 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 2 to 3 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by a family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter