Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog appears to have something lodged deep in one of her

Customer Question

My dog appears to have something lodged deep in one of her ears. She can't stop shaking her head. Is it okay to irrigate with warm water?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Elli!

If she potentially has something caught in the bottom of her ear canal, then you can gently flush the ear with luke warm water or saline (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) . These are the only 2 safe options we can use when we are unable to see whether the ear drum is intact. But again these are just fine to use in this situation.

Otherwise, just since ear irritation cab be related to allergies, I would note that you can also consider trying her with an antihistamine to see if you can give her some relief. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But this could address allergies or even just settle her down a bit so she isn't so irritated with this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )