Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My English bulldog has sores on her stomach along with a

Customer Question

My English bulldog has sores on her stomach along with a rash
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Bully is having sores on her belly! I can give you some basic guidelines but if they are not improving in the next few days then she likely has a mild skin infection (CLICK HERE) that will require oral antibiotics to resolve

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Begin benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the licking and itch of the lesions. May cause mild sedation

3.) Use dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. No need for a full bath just the affected area

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) You can also use cool compresses on the area to soothe the skin and reduce her desire to lick.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. I am on-line an additional 15 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!