jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I just got a 9 month old american Brittany last night and it

Customer Question

I just got a 9 month old american Brittany last night and it is very scared, and skittish to the point that it shakes badly and poops when startled. The dog spent the entire night hidden behind a chair in the corner of my bedroom. I took it outside without the leash because it would not let me near her, she kept running from me when I tried to put the leash on her. Now she's been outside with no water or food and won't let me anywhere near her. She growls and barks at me when I try to approach her. What can I do to get the dog back inside?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

You may need to put some tasty treats like hot dog pieces in a trail leading into the house. Just make it small slivers to she doesn't get full. Then you go outside and leave the door open. You might be able to sit outside until she feels it is safe to enter the house.

Another option if you have a length of pvc pipe and rope is to create a makeshift catch pole. You run the rope through the pole creating a loop on one end of the pole. this allows you to get the rope around the dog and then you can pull the ends of the rope to make it taut. You have to be careful not to choke the dog but that will allow you to get the dog in the house.

If you have a crate, you can put the food and water in the crate and leave it outside. At least that way she'll get used to the food being in the crate and you may be able to close the door if you catch her eating in the create. I'm hoping your yard is fenced at least. If you put the crate outside, you will want to cover it with a blanket to create a place she can get out of the weather unless you have a dog house out there.

Unfortunately, you are going to need to either gain her trust which can take some time or create an area where you can contain her. I hope these suggestions have been helpful. If you found them helpful, please take the opportunity to rate. If you want to discuss the situation further or have additional concerns, reply and we can continue the conversation.