Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 14 1/2 yr old dog has arthritis and the last few days

Customer Question

My 14 1/2 yr old dog has arthritis and the last few days she's been limping to the point that she's not putting pressure on her back leg at all. I gave her remidol but it's not easing her pain. What more can I do???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many milligrams of Rimadyl are you giving and how often?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50lbs
50 mg of rimadol 2x a day
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, currently she is on the maximum dose for Rimadyl. It would be contraindicated to start her on other types of non steroidal anti inflammatory medication because she is on Rimadyl. The only option is to phone your family veterinarian to add another pain killer of a different type like Tramadol. Do not give any over the counter pain killer they are all contraindicated in this case.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!