Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog all of a sudden stated walking around in circles

Customer Question

My dog all of a sudden stated walking around in circles acting really skittish no barking I even put her in a room a closed the door she didn't even bark just continuing to pace and go in circles what could be causing this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Emma. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Could you please check her for "nystagmus", by looking closely at her eyes, to see if her eyes are twitching back and forth in the socket? Many dogs who suddenly begin to circle have nystagmus.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

When a dog suddenly is circling, with nystagmus, it usually means that there is a problem in the balance or "vestibular" center of the brain. It can be from an inner ear infection, or farther into the brain. Older dogs can get sudden onset "old dog vestibular syndrome", and the good news is that most of these dogs get better after a week or two. We are not really sure why this happens, but it usually gets better with a little time.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Emma doing? Did you check her eyes?