Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog a geriatric bassett came in from the yard unable to

Customer Question

my dog a geriatric bassett came in from the yard unable to use his front paw. I checked for signs of injury all around the paw wsp where his was licking for thorns cut etc and could see or feel nothing. gave him some aspirin but for the first little while his whole are must twitchinbackward. is this a possible sprain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in anyone answering your question.

The answer is, yes, this could be a sprain. It could also be a bite/sting as you suspected. Given the twitching, this could come from pain, especially a bite/sting. My top two recommendations would be to wash the paw well just in case this is a topical irritant. And second to give some Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours, unless he is already on another antihistamine. This will not interact with the aspirin.

Monitor for signs of profuse swelling, bleeding, or pain/discomfort that is really not improving, or true tremors that are not abating after 1-2 hours. These are all indications he really needs to be seen on emergency today. If he is seen on emergency, be certain to alert the ER veterinarian to what medications you administered.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gilligan. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey