Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog threw up this morning and ever since had been eating

Customer Question

My dog threw up this morning and ever since had been eating grass and anything that is green. Is this something to worry about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Daschund girl Bella. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, here are a number of potential causes for these symptoms in Bella ranging from an acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ problem. For these reasons, you really will need to keep a close eye on your girl for the next couple of hours if you can. If she seems really lethargic right now or in pain - then I really would encourage you to get her seen by your local Vet or ER Vet now if you can. You are best to with hold her food for now, then from tonight you can start her on a bland diet if her vomiting has settled. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is ideal for this. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water in the meantime, and if she isn't drinking much, then you should try and coax her by making up a chicken broth. For this, just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Bella and hopefully her vomiting stops soon. If she continues to vomit today and can't keep water down, then definitely get her seen by your local vet or ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would follow up again quickly to see how Bella is doing now. Hopefully the vomiting has settled now.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Pet Doc