Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

First, thank you support and care you provide!! My 12 yr old

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Andy,
First, thank you for the support and care you provide!!
My 12 yr old GSD had mammary cancer (we went the surgery/chemo route) and now 2 years later the cancer is back and has also spread to her lungs. For the lungs, I know there's not much I can do other than keep her as comfy as possible. The new mammary tumor seemed to appear almost suddenly and grew into the size of a golf ball. When I woke up this morning I found that it burst (ruptured/ulcerated?? There's some blood and it's oozy) so I called my vet immediately. He said I could clean the wound with peroxide and keep it wrapped over the weekend until I can bring her in on Monday to see if we can remove it.
I have two questions: do you think it's safe to also do some Epsom salt compresses to help soothe the area? I know Epsom salts are pretty useful but I don't want to make the wound any angrier (it's gross). And, what will happen to the wound if we can't do surgery...will it just get worse with possibility of infection which could take her life before the (stupid) cancer does?
I do have her on ammox right now for the low fever she had earlier in the week. I read another post you wrote about possibly using clavamox which I have but is old.
I'm trying to prepare myself for Monday so any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated.
Best,
Megan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying the epsom salts, but not sure if it will be of much benefit.

The wound, without surgery, will likely become necrotic, ulcerated, and secondarily infected. They can get quite ugly. Do not use old clavamox. Your goal would be to work with the vet on using continued antibiotics to moderate infection, maybe some antibiotic/steroid topical preparations if the tumor is ruptured/ulcerated, and keeping it covered/protected the best that you can.

Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but hope those tidbits help a bit.