Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 week old great dane puppy has tiny little bumps in s

Customer Question

My 7 week old great dane puppy has tiny little bumps in his ears and on his tail . They dont seem to bother him . He had them when we got him on his back and tummy but his skin looks better there . Just his tail is bumpy and ears really bad .. Ive tried
coconut oil because ive heard its good for his skin . I dont know if i should take him to the vet or not or be worried or not ? And i want them to go away ... I need help !!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The people igot him from said he developed them and so they gave him grain free food because they thought he was allergic to grain but they sit that the puppys moms last liter had puppy that had the same issue but they were just puppy pimples ... I dont know if i should be worried ive been told to put neosporin too please help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are the bumps flesh colored or have white heads like pimples?

Does he itch them at all?

Any discharge in his ears?

Could you please take a photo of these lumps? If you can do so and post them online, they will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box.Or you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached some pictures ... There isnt really white heads or anything they are just whiteish clear bumps ... They were much worse the lady told me last week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no discharge in his ears they are pretty clean for the most part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesnt itch them at all.. Earlier he was chewing on his tail but idk if its because hes a puppy or if it itched him ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Is he still on the grain free diet? How long has he been on it so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weve had him for 2 days and we feed him candidae dog food which is really good food . And it has grain in it but if he wAs allergic to grain wouldnt you think it would get worse ? He looks alot better than a week ago she said ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

It certainly could, but I was trying to determine whether he was actually sensitive to grains. And a lack of flare up on a new grain containing diet does make this less of a suspect here.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That said, I'd keep an eye on what the protein source was for both, in case they are shared. But otherwise, generally speaking, food based allergies tend to cause diffuse itchiness for our dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think it coul be from your experience ? Any home remedies i can try to make them or help them go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Food allergies are normally really itchy for dogs ? He is still very you g it could very well be just little tiny pimples or something else ? But when i rub his ear i can feel so many of them on the inside .. There are a couple on his back and tail and stomach .. The lady said they were really bad at first that they almost looked like hives
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Instead, looking at the photos, this just looks like a mild possible immune reaction to the world around him. This could be a low grade allergy or even reaction to the bacteria his skin is now facing. And often its just a situation where we need to let them grow out of this. For severe cases, we will use antibiotics and antihistamines, but this doesn't appear to be a case where that is absolutely necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with that being said what would you recommend me to do ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Still, if you wished to you could try him on antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues without speaking to his vet first.

Otherwise, we could also try him with essential fatty acids (EFAs) Coconut oil tend to low in these. So, instead, we'd wantto orally supplement with fish oils or use an EFA product like Viacutin or Yumega. These will support general skin health and help it cope with these irritations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i get him to take the fish oil? And how much do i give him ? Would the fish oil cause any reaction ? How long would the fish oil take to clear up his bumps and skin? Would i give him fish oil pills like the ones humans take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coconut oil wont help? Someone told me to rub neosporin on it too ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

First, I do want to repost the link for the Benadryl as I cannot see it flashing for me. It is http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

Otherwise, coconut oil isn't likely to be of much benefit. You can use it if you wish as it will do no harm but fish oil is a better EFA source and you can give that at a dose of 20mg per 10 lbs of weight daily (and you can use a pet version or the human omega 3+6 fish oils as they are the same). It does take a few weeks to help on its own. And while neosporin is useful for bacterial pyoderma (where we have pimples), it is of limited use here as well.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so i should stick with the fish oil? Will he eat it or do i have to stick it down his throat ? The fish oil seems more promising to me .within the couple weeks should i just keep a close eye on his skin ? What if it gets worse ? But he doesnt itch it or what if it stays the same ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Most will take it without issue, especially if you puncture the capsule and squeeze it onto his food. Though if you find he isn't keen on fish, then he may need you to give it directly. In the meantime, do keep a close eye on his skin. Any itching or pimples, then bacterial infection would be suspect and we'd then want to have him to the local vet for antibiotics.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his tail is really bad its like dry and flaky and has bumps all over and is misisng some fur and his foot is bad too ... What do you think i should do just try the fish oil thing then if it doesnt get better take him to the vet ? I feel so bad but he doesnt seem in pain at all hes so playful and energetic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It is positive that it isn't getting him down since it does make very itchy infections or severe allergies less likely. And if it is flaking/dry, then the fish oil will help with that. Of course, if you think it is worsening the longer you have him, and is also on his feet, then a check isn't a bad idea. His vet can just make sure that there is nothing more afoot and potentially test to make sure he doesn't have any issues with non-itchy mites like Demodex. Less likely with just the tail/belly type presentation but a possibility is his feet are affected as well and his fur is looking moth eaten.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thankyou !!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thise are better pics of his bumps ... They peel off like scabs but they are all over the bottom of his feet and some on his back .... We took him to the vet they think its a infection they gave us medicated shampoo and ammoxicilan pills and ear wipes because the bumps are all over his ears like tons of them but they arent scabed in his ears just bumps ... Now that you can see his skin closer does it look like anything to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the tiny bumps in his ears
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clearer photos,

They do look more pimple like in these photos (with almost gree pus colored heads). In that case, it does look like a juvenile pyoderma which as we disucssed before being due to immune reaction to the bacteria filled worls around him. So, antibiotics should help and again they do tend to grow out of this as their immune system adjusts to the normal bacterial population on the skin.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hes pooped like 10 times today and has been pooping alot is that normal? Its not firm either sometimes its diahhrea and sometimes its not ... Could that be a side effect of his infection? Or of his medication? Hes eben pooping alot since we brought him home
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

It could be related to the antibiotics, but some dogs will pass more stool then others depending on its consistency and their digestion. So, if he is passing a lot of soft stool, make sure he is wormed and consider adding a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran to his diet to help bulk up his stools and slow their passage. If it continues and is loose, he may need to try a different diet or have a stool sample tested.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bumps / scabs thats what they look like and 6 more showed up today i dont know if thats part of healing or not
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The scaling/scabs will be part of the infection and the antibiotics will address that. But those raised regions under his hair actually look like hives here. So, if your vet didn't have you start an antihistamine or doesn't have him on a low dose of steroids, we'd need to speak to them about using one of these options as well as the antibiotics.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. This will not end our convesation and we can continue to chat as needed. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he might have allergies ... I havent noticed the medicine doing anything and its been 4 days already he actually got more bumps instead of them getting better .. I gave him a dose of benedryl ealrier this evening ... If the benedryl helps them go away then obviously he never had an infection in the first place ... Hes been acting perfectly normal just having troubles sleeping because i think hes uncomfortable in his own body poor guy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scabs on his back almost look pussy but they are dry and they are risin and yellow .. He woke up with more today ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I think they will need to be used in combination, to address the allergy first and then reduce the secondary infection (since both appear present now). If you have started the Benadryl, do remember it is a every 8-12 hour dosing and not just once a day. And the antibiotics should be continued at this stage.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it look like a allergic reaction to you ? Have you ever seen anything like this before ? I just want to know what he has so i know how to treat it but i feel like nothing has helped .. How long would it take for me to notice if the benedryl is working ? Same with the amoxicillan they prescribed him .. Because were going on day 5 now with the medicine they gave him and nothing has changed ... He is very restless he naps throughout the day but has issues sleeping throughout the night ... Do you have any suggestions? Ive been rubbing coconut oil on him alot to soothe his skin and help im trying everything i can think of but i feel like the doctor didnt know what he had and he just prescibed him with that just to get us out of there ... Wouldnt i be able to notice a change at least by now ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

As I just noted, it looks like both are present. It looks like a primary allergy with possible hive plus the scaling/pustules associated with secondary bacterial infection. As we have been discussing, an antibiotic + immune modulating (steroid or antihistamine) treatment would be indicated. In regards ***** ***** times, this varies by infection and dog. So, we'd want to see improvement within a week. Otherwise, we'd need to try something stronger then an antihistamine and think about culturing the bacterial agent present in order to select an appropriate antibiotic. And if your vet is struggling with this, then you may even need to consider requesting a referral to a dermatologist for your lad.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay ... It doesnt look like mange to you does it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think i should continue to give benedryl and the amoxicillan they prescribed ? Hopefully between the two something will start to change .. He bites his tail sometimes and when i itch his back he loves it because hes so itchy ...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No, it looks nothing like mange and if it were he'd be scratching like a fiend and causing open wounds.

So, I do think you should continiue as you are to the end of the course, but have his vet review the skin +/- take samples for bacterial culture if they are not settling in the next few days (now that you are using the Benadryl).

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay i will let you know either way what happens ! Thankyou doc
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B.