Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My dog keeps trying to lick her rear and is crying. Also

Customer Question

My dog keeps trying to lick her rear and is crying. Also licking the floor. She's very agitated and restless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there? I'm very concerned.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Canine health. I would like to ask some questions to better assist you. Please d not rate my service until I have given you a answer.

Can you see any swelling around the anal opening?

Have you ever had her Anal Glands Expressed?

Is she scooting on the floor?

Is she passing normal stools?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she is not scooting on the floor. Yes she has had her anal glands expressed but I not sure if her current groomer does this. She has always had feces stuck to her Amy's in clumps. Since she was a puppy.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I suspect what you are seeing may be an Anal gland issue. The glands are located inside and outside the anal opening and if the internal glands are not fully expressed this can cause a problem like what you are describing. The licking te floor is a sign usually of nausea. I usually suggest having the Vet express the glands, so they are completely done. Once they are set I also suggest that the dog get Canned Pumpkin in with meals. This helps with the stool passing and usually helps for the glands to naturally express with bowel movements. I would have Maizy in and have her anal glands checked, because the signs of an anal gland seems to be the problem.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gail,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maizy. How is everything going?
Jav917