Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has diarrhea I wanted to know if he can take immodium

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know if my dog Chuck can immodium for his diarrhea. It started 4 hours ago. Also chuck is diagnosed with Bronchitiis and is taking Temaril p. Persistent coughing started 3 days ago but prior to that he was doing fine not really needing his medication as much.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Chuck is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes Imodium is fairly frequently prescribed for dogs with diarrhoea. It can often work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of sort. Please follow this link for more information on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates : LINK

That said that there are a number of other home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with diarrhoea and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

4. It would be safe to try any of the above in combination with the Temaril P .

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Chuck deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chuck is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chuck. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but Chuck is doing fine now since he have taken imodium.

Great news! Thanks so much for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott.