jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have raised dogs and managed large kennels 50 years.

Customer Question

i have raised dogs and managed large kennels for over 50 years. i'm stumped by my latest 2 litters of pups. one litter was mostly tube fed. some nursing. both litters were weaned a bit early at about 5 wks. on IAMS puppy. they all have bad stools. watery
pudding-like. no bad smell. no blood. no tarry look. pups all act healthy, look healthy. i treated them with marquis, panacur, flagyl, tylan, sequentially and probiotics. the probiotics made a temporary immediate improvement each time i gave it. formed poop.
but only for one or two poops. better looking poop here and there but short time only then back to way it was before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. My experience is with both vet care field and breeding. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like you have treated for the most common causes of loose stools such as coccidia, giardia, and worms. I'm pretty sure you have probably already done a fecal check at the vet as well. If not, you do want to do that.

One cause could be herpes infections though I would expect other symptoms such as weak suckling, crying, painful abdomen which it doesn't seem is present. They would also have to contract herpes late as when contracted early the pups usually don't make it as I'm sure you know.

One thing that could be the cause especially if any of the parents are from the same bloodlines is an allergy condition. An allergy could affect a whole litter or more of puppies. So you might try some benadryl at a dosage of 1mg per pound every 8 hours and see if the stool firms up. If so you might have to experiment with different foods to see which ingredient might be to blame.

Another possibility is that your water supply is contaminated with a protozoan infection. Treating the pups would not be effective if they were contracting it on a regular basis from the water. We have our well tested regularly to prevent this but also flush our pipes with a mild bleach solution overnight to kill any bacteria, etc that might be in the water system. Other animals in the kennel might have developed an immunity to the bacteria or infection and other litters may have had immunity from their mother as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I just realized I failed to mention another thing. Protozoan infections are generally not erradicated by the antibiotics but only help control the infection until the dogs own immune system kicks in. So Antiboitics might help a little bit but once stopped, the infection would flare up again. This would be a sign of a immature immune system or lowered immune response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm not really in the position to accept phone call requests. I'll be more than happy to discuss this more with you. I also think that perhaps you want to add colostrum perhaps bovine for future litters if it looks like they are experiencing similar issues. It may help boost their immune system enough to help stop what ever bacteria or other condition that has been undiagnosed that is keeping their fecal matter loose.