Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My CHOW HAS VOMITING NIGHTS ONLY AT NIGHT THE VOMIT IS

Customer Question

My CHOW HAS VOMITING FOR THREE NIGHTS ONLY AT NIGHT THE VOMIT IS UNDIGESTED DOG FOOD.SHE IS 10 YEARS OLD I CHECKED HER TEMPERATURE I PLACED MY FINGER DOWN IN HER EAR ON THE SKULL IT WASN'T UNUSUALLY WARM THE TIPS OF HER EARS ARE COLD.SHE PLAYS AND RUN'S IN THE YARD ,NOT LIKE A PUPPY, BUT SHE APPEARS TO BE NORMAL. PLEASE HELP.THANKS ,MY EMAIL ADDRESS,***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Lucy has a problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

This sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy as in your case, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of tablespoons twice a day should be fine for a dog of Lucy's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.