How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6639
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog got into liquid children's ibuprofen. 6 year old 40

Customer Question

My dog got into liquid children's ibuprofen. 6 year old 40 pounds. I don't know how much she got knot but we gave her peroxide she did throw up but what can I do to help her??!?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Cali. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long after ingestion did you get her to vomit?
- How is she in herself at the moment? How long ago did she ingest this?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how long ago she got into it. It was when I got home. So now it's been a couple hours. She's vomited twice now. She seems to be acting ok at this point
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. Good on you for getting Cali to vomit so quickly. It is very likely that this is enough to help prevent any issues with this ingestion here. If you aren't exactly sure when Cali got in to the liquid ibuprofen, then there is a chance that some of this could have been absorbed already. For this reason, although you have done a fantastic job in getting Calit to vomit (and to do so relatively quickly), it would still be best for Cali to be monitored and have IV fluids at your local vet clinic. As you likely have read by now, there are a range of possible complications as a result of canine ibuprofen ingestion including anything from stomach ulcers to liver and kidney failure potentially. Because of these potential risks (even from some of the drug that may have been absorbed before she vomited, getting her to your local vet will be the safest bet here.

Your local vet can start your girl on IV fluids straight away, give some drugs to help to line the stomach, and give a slurry of activated charcoal. Don't try to give your girl Charco caps from home. These are designed for humans, and because dogs need around 1- 4g of activated charcoal per kg of body weight, she would need many, many capsules and you would likely do more harm and cause more stress than good. Your vet would be able to assess whether an activated charcoal slurry was going to help, and could give this relatively easily with the formulation available to vets.

If you can't get Cali to your local vet or ER vet now, then you will need to continue to keep an eye on her. I would also recommend some Pepcid in this instance as well. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid . As above however, Cali is going to have the best chance of a 100% recovery if you can get her down to your local vet or ER vet now for ongoing monitoring, IV fluids, bloods to check her liver and kidney function and (if deemed necessary) some activated charcoal. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check in quickly to see how you are getting on with Cali now. I hope you managed to get her along to your local vet clinic for follow up treatment? As it has been 2 - 3 days, if you haven't seen any further symptoms at this point, then generally we can be safe in the knowledge that she is out of the woods.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E