Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My golden retriever has just turned 13. Suddenly this

Customer Question

My golden retriever has just turned 13. Suddenly this evening she cannot stand up. Her hind legs slip when she tries to get up. She has an appetite and has eaten all her dinner and drunk a bowl of water. I put a collar on and tried to help her up but to no avail. Thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am so sorry Guen is having difficulties standing up.

First I want to make sure this is not an emergency. Are her gums nice and pink and moist? If you pinch her rear toes does she retract her foot or turn to look at you? Are her rear toes the same temperature of her front toes?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK so as long as her gums are nice and pink and moist, her belly is not swollen, and respiratory rate (breaths per minute) is <30 these are all good signs

Pinching her toes without a response, toes in the back being blue or cooler than the front, or not urinating for more than 12 hours are all issues that should be addressed as soon as possible.

Helping her move you can use a towel under her groin as a sling to lift her and support her weight to get her outside and/ or into the car. The concerns with weakness in the rear with her age is that it can be related to muscle atrophy and arthritis or it can be a sign of a disc herniation or injury leaving her paralyzed in the rear.

Your veterinarian will want to do a full neurologic exam to consider the options and how best to help her.

Tonight:
- Massage those legs from the toes all the way to the hips to increase circulation.
- Do range of motion with the individual joints from toes to hips to prevent stiffness
- Make sure you rotate which side she is on every few hours and take her outside every 4-6 hours

I am on-line another hour tonight to assist you both, please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify tonight. I truly hope that she is doing better by morning...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicola,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Guen. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman