Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 14 year old cocker spaniel has developed skin ulcers.

Customer Question

Our 14 year old cocker spaniel has developed skin ulcers. Why is this happening?
Would also like to know why she wants to eat dirt, sand, paper?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Lady is showing signs of ulcers. These are common in senior pets along with senior people because we lose muscling as we age and tend to lay in one position for extended periods of time. As a result, skin wears away over the bony protuberances and causes these ulcerations. Common locations are the hips, elbows, hocks, chest to name a few.

Treating as they occur and getting her to change positions regularly will help minimize the recurrence and severity of these but if she has lost a lot of muscling as she ages this is going to be a common result. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

As far as wanting to eat dirt, sand, paper this is called pica and can be related to anemia or other metabolic issues in a senior pet or in a younger dog can also be behavioral. When I have a patient that is suddenly doing these things I will always want to run bloodwork to rule out the possibility of anemia and begin appropriate treatment if this is the case. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I wish Lady many more years of health and happiness...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman