Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Well unfortunately my dog has been itching incisively all

Customer Question

Well unfortunately my dog has been itching incisively all summer long, and he doesn't have fleas. Since he was a long haired German Shepard, we thought maybe he would feel better if we shaved him for the summer. WRONG MOVE, THE ITCHING HAS DOUBLED
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Hanz. I can imagine shaving caused quite a bit of irritation and discomfort for him!

I do understand how frustrating these conditions can be to treat. Unfortunately often the underlying cause is a contact allergy of some kind and these issues will continue to recur over and over because the allergen is often in the environment such as dust, grass, pollen as stimulants and causes.

You can treat locally with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo two to three times weekly with ten minute contact time to reduce the allergens contact with the body. In addition the use of antihistamines such as benadryl at 1 mg/ pound (not sure of the dose you were using) to help with the itchiness but there is no cure for allergies.

If you are able to identify the allergen with serum allergy testing then you can begin hyposensitization with either subcutaneous injections or the oral formula. This can be successful in reducing the frequency of infections but often they do not resolve completely.

Just as we can have seasonal allergies or contact allergies so can our pets and the steroid cream helps because it suppresses the immune response to the allergen at that location for a short period of time. If only we had a longterm cure my allergies in the Spring would go away as well! But unfortunately technology has not progressed to that point so we are left with trying to minimize the signs and keep ourselves and our pets as comfortable as possible.

Just to confirm you are using a fish oil high in omega fatty acids. You want to use 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily in an average sized GSD and this will take 2-4 weeks to see full effects...

Here is a link to allergy testing and treatment:

http://www.heska.com/Products/ALLERCEPT/ALLERCEPT.aspx

Here is a link to information on allergic dermatitis in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-dermatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am signing off in about 20 minutes...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hanz. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman