Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Weakness and difficulty using back legs. We were playing

Customer Question

Weakness and difficulty using back legs. We were playing fetch yesterday. Our lab/bloodhound mix got his toy a couple of times. He stopped and I thought maybe we started play to soon after eating, and he got an upset tummy. I let him out about six pm. It was cool and he wanted to stay outside. I let him wait until his Mom got home at 11pm (he often does this) When she got home he had difficulty rising to his back legs. This morning he tries to rise , but his back legs keep going out on him, as if there is muscle weakness. He shows no sign of pain, but does seem bummed out this morning. Last night he was excited to see his Mom and acted happy if not for his back legs. When my wife scratched his belly he moved his legs like dogs do when tickled. She is rubbing his legs now with a massager.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did he have back leg problems before this happening?

2- Is he eating and drinking?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

This is concerning. Most commonly, this is caused by a slipped disc in the spine, and

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No leg problems, eats like a horse, vomited the other day over night, we found it in the morning, but he ate good after. No other medical conditions, no other symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a big guy. We got him from the pound about two years ago. He put on weight after we got him and went to about 130 pounds. My wife put him on a diet with diet dog food. He has lost 10-15 pounds and looks real good. He is a very big dog. He was happy to see my wife and did not act as though he was in pain. When she scratched his belly this morning his legs were kicking the way a dogs legs kick when tickled. When he rose and went to get up on his couch his back legs went out and he needed help. He does seem to be bummed out now, because he can't play with us?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. But, it seems there was a bit of a confusion as another expert had also locked on to this question.

In response to your question, given the quick onset of his back leg weakness it is very likely this could be secondary to a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, there is a disc in the vertebral column (back) that is placing pressure on the spinal cord, this is causing loss of motor function to the back legs. This is actually an emergency, the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will recover. I would strongly recommend having him checked this morning by family veterinarian. They will start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication so that he can regain complete function to his back legs.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have made the appointment and will be at the vet in about 90 minutes. We have had him outside, he vomited a small amount peed and pooped no blood in either. He does seem to be motivating better.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Great, please keep me posted. Thank you.