Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a cane Carson, he developed all these bumps on s

Customer Question

I have a cane Carson, he developed all these bumps on his head, they are very itchy, he is a very large dog and I am not capable to take him to the vet, can I give him something over the counter at the drug store
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Bruno isn't feeling so well! I also know that Cane Corsos can be a difficult breed to examine in the hospital! They are often quite owner protective and fearful at the vet. I understand your hesitation to take him in, but please know that my advice over the internet is definitely NOT a substitute for a proper veterinary exam. There are just too many variables that I can't see over the internet for me to really make a diagnosis without an in-person physical exam.

For minor skin irritations, I usually recommend keeping the area clean and dry. If hair is matting or sticking to the area, I recommend clipping the hair away to facilitate keeping the area dry. A gentle massage with an antibacterial soap like Dial can help minor bacterial infections, but if there's infection deeper into the tissues, it's not going to penetrate enough. Allergies are a common underlying cause of skin irritations, and a dose of benadryl 1mg per pound up to every 8 hours can help with the itching. Topical triple antibiotic ointment with hydrocortisone can also sometimes be helpful for minor skin irritations.

Ultimately if you're doctoring this at home for a few days and it's not improving, he's going to need stronger medications from the vet. There are some vets who do house calls - this could potentially be a way to avoid taking him in to the clinic.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you!

~Dr. Sara