Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog can't get comfortable Constantly moves from one place

Customer Question

My dog can't get comfortable
Constantly moves from one place to another everyonute
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old boy Bogie who can't seem to settle or get comfortable tonight. As you can probably appreciate, there are a large range of possible reasons for your boy's restlessness tonight. This could include anything from an early gastroenteritis, to joint pain, a toxicity, an allergic reaction, or even an internal organ issue (just to name a few potential causes). The best plan for this evening will be to continue to keep an eye on Bogie for the next couple of hours. In particular, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and do try and encourage him to drink. If he develops further symptoms or seems distressed, then you really should get him seen tonight if you can.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Bogie and please let me know how you get on. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.