jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My 7 month old puppy has recently started pooping in house

Customer Question

my 7 month old puppy has recently started pooping in house although she has been house broken for a couple months plus gets real restless and cant seem to settle down, should i make and appointment with my vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Often at this age a dog contracts parasites again. This can make it hard for a dog to hold their bowels and once that happens, then end up breaking house training. So I would have her dewormed first. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.

You will need to deworm at least twice 2 weeks apart to get both the live worms and any hatching eggs. YOu may have to retrain her again but once she is worm free, she should be able to hold her bowels again and train easily again. If you want to be sure, you can take a fecal sample to your vet and have it tested. Most vets will do this for you and confirm if it is parasites or not.

Other causes could be a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Here is some information on those conditions.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The vet should test for these when he checks the fecal sample as well.

If he is parasite free, then you will need to retrain her again. Usually using the method that worked when a dog was a pup is your best way of retraining, though crate training is the method I usually recommend.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.