Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog was diagnosed with bone cancer, the vet said he has 3

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with bone cancer, the vet said he has 3 months at best but the cancer is in its early stages. Its in his knee, need second opinion and options. My dog is 10
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. How severe is Thumper's pain? Is he coughing or have any other symptoms or problems?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thumper. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Christian, he is limping on his back leg, no cough, he is not complaining so not to sure about pain. I have been giving him a half aspirin with food and I just got him rescue remedy and have it in his water. The vet I took him to gave me tramadhol but I gave it to him the night he came home and he was walking al through the house disoriented. I will not give him this anymore. My sister who is a big animal lover told me try a little aspirinSeems to breath heavy at night more than day , he gets up middle of the night and walks around but no whining I get up with him, my guess is painSo I took him to a second vet, who said the X-rays do tell what kind of tumor this may be, he suggests biopsy. My concern is thumper, if this is a painful thing to an already infected area will it make his worse for him. Do I do nothing and get another X-ray in a few weeks (this was another option from the 2 vet I saw last Friday)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want my baby boy to have more pain for no reason

Thanks for the information. I'm sure he is in quite a bit of pain with this condition but dogs are excellent at hiding it and in most cases won't cry or whine. I would consider calling your vet about using a lower dose of tramadol and perhaps that would not make him so disoriented. I would discontinue the aspirin. It just isn't strong enough (it would be like throwing a cup of water on a house fire) and can cause stomach ulcers and intestinal problems in dogs if used for more than a few days. There are prescription pain medications in the same family as aspirin but target pain much better and have a much lower chance of side effects (Rimadyl or Deramaxx for instance). In most cases when an x-ray points to cancer as a possibility then the chances of anything else are extremely small and unfortunately when the cancer has been found it has already spread to another part of the body. The only real option is amputation and then chemotherapy. Of course, that has a high dollar cost but does relieve the intense pain of the cancer and buys some time. Chemotherapy can have some side effects to but doesn't cause the typical symptoms you would associate with chemotherapy in humans (hair loss, etc.). In dogs, the most common side effect is nausea and loss of appetite. With bone cancer, chemotherapy only buys a few months of survival time, a rare dog might survive up to a year. The most common problem seen with bone cancer is when the bone actually fractures and then euthanasia is necessary to relieve pain and suffering. I think an x-ray in a few weeks is fine but unless you are going to possibly do amputation and chemotherapy, I don't know that it will help your decision making much. A biopsy would be the better option to get a definitive answer on what type of cancer he has and how it would respond to treatment. If you think chemotherapy and treatment is an option for you then I would have the biopsy done. I hope that helps but respond back with any questions you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Christian, he is limping on his back leg, no cough, he is not complaining so not to sure about pain. I have been giving him a half aspirin with food and I just got him rescue remedy and have it in his water. The vet I took him to gave me tramadhol but I gave it to him the night he came home and he was walking al through the house disoriented. I will not give him this anymore. My sister who is a big animal lover told me try a little aspirinSeems to breath heavy at night more than day , he gets up middle of the night and walks around but no whining I get up with him, my guess is painSo I took him to a second vet, who said the X-rays do tell what kind of tumor this may be, he suggests biopsy. My concern is thumper, if this is a painful thing to an already infected area will it make his worse for him. Do I do nothing and get another X-ray in a few weeks (this was another option from the 2 vet I saw last Friday)I do not want my baby boy to have more pain for no reason, I will not amputate so he gets a few more months only to be miserable

Were you able to see my earlier response?