Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

I have a 3 year old mini schnauzer. I just got her anal

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old mini schnauzer. I just got her anal glands expressed yesterday and when she came home she has very sticky runny black stool . Today she had same....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is she vomiting?

Is she eating normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating fine, no vomiting... Those two times of poop have been accidents in house which she never does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her glands look a little swollen
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Has she been eating a different type of food lately?

Is she scooting on her rear end or licking at her anal area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No different food... Licking anal are a little
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

A black sticky stool is most commonly caused by some bleeding in her stomach or intestinal tract. The black color is actually digested blood as it moves through a dog's intestines. Another possible causes would be a food or treat that had a dark pigment in it that she was not digesting very well. The anal sacs usually do not cause the whole stool to be black and sticky though sometimes the fluid in the sacs can cause a slight change in color to the outside of the stool. An anal sac infection could cause her to have swollen glands and inflammation around her anus though again should not cause the whole stool to be black and sticky.

Some of the possible causes of blood in the stomach or intestines would be from ingesting a food item that had any blood, a stomach ulcer, a mass in the stomach, irritation to the stomach lining from ingesting a foreign object, or even ingesting something toxic such as rat poison.

At this point, I would honestly recommend having your vet examine her to determine if she could potentially have a stomach ulcer or one of the other disorders. For now you can start her on a medication such as Pepcid AC at a dose of 5 mg for every 25 pounds of weight daily to help reduce acid in her stomach and protect the lining of her stomach. This medication is quite safe and is found over the counter. Your vet can give her a better medication to coat her stomach such as Sucralfate.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.