Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 5 year old yorkie has been having soft stool a week now.

Customer Question

My 5 year old yorkie has been having soft stool for almost a week now. A week ago he threw up and it was mostly bile (brown, no food in it)..then he pooped in the house twice, which he never does. The poop at the time was dark and pretty formed, but the last bit was covered in red jelly, which i assumed to be blood. I took him to the vet the next day and the vet game him metrodianzole 250mg and told me to take 1/4 of a tablet every day for 6 days (my dog is 5lbs). They also gave some probiotics, which i've finish. we took the last pill and probiotic this morning. Tonight while on our walk i noticed him eating a couple mouthfuls of grass again...and his stool never firmed up completely. It's still soft, like soft-serve and I can pick it up without it leave a stain but it definitely will fall on itself. Kind of like melted chocolate. He is otherwise fine and hasn't loss any noticeable weight. The vet did send out a stool sample to the lab and it came back negative for parasites. What should I do now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like blood work or xrays?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He only took a stool sample since he thought it might be stress because I just moved from out of state. He hasn't done any blood tests yet. Biggie did have a blood test about 2 months ago and everything was fine, but that was a pre-anesthesia blood test for his dental.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he just went #2 again outside and it was soft. It's not liquidy at all, just soft (if I pick it up carefully it won't leave a mark, but easily squished).
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response, I was offline by the time you came back. If you would like to continue can you please give me an update on how Biggie is doing. Thank you.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HIHis morning poop was good but this evening it got soft again. Same thing happened yesterday. Acting fine. Here's a photo of morning poop. That's just grass on top from picking it up.