Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My english bulldog threw up yesterday but was very playful

Customer Question

My english bulldog threw up yesterday but was very playful still was drinking and firm poops. Today she ate twice but threw up again and her poop is a little soft but still very playful and drinking and she has ate not too long ago and has so far kept it diwn. She is 15 months old what vould it be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Kolby is having some gi changes. There are a multitude of causes of vomiting and loose stools including stress, dietary indiscretion, parasites, endocrine changes, liver or kidney changes just to name a few.

I can give you some basic guidelines for gi upset that hopefully will help minimize her vomiting and loose stools but if this is not improving I would advise a veterinary exam before the weekend and potential progression of signs leading you to a veterinary er visit on the weekend.

- Begin pepcid (famotidine) an over the counter antacid at 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours tonight and again in the morning before breakfast
- Begin a bland diet of white rice and boiled lean meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals 15-30 minutes after the pepcid. This is bland yet bulking to her stools
- Increase leash walks after meals, even if just 15 minutes about 30 minutes after meals. This helps promote stomach emptying and gi motility in hopes of reducing nausea, gi cramping, and vomiting
- Add water to the smaller meals x 3 days after resolution of signs then begin mixing in her normal diet slowly. The water will help reduce risk of dehydration if the stools become looser

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she her gi signs resolve soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that realky didn't tell me anything just gave me a bunch of what ifs..I already was feeding her a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. I guess I was hoping for a certain answer
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, vomiting can be from a multitude of causes. In a young healthy dog the primary differentials are going to be dietary indiscretion, parasitism, or stress related causes

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Starting the pepcid will help settle the stomach and the smaller more frequent meals can be helpful in a dog with gi upset. You didn't mention the bland diet in your initial statement so there is no way for me to know that you were already doing this step

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I can certainly opt out to allow another expert to answer your question to see if they have any further insights if you like? I would prefer this to avoid a negative rating since you are not satisfied with my responses...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is parasitism..I know I forgot to mention the bland diet. It's just that I am very very worried about her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a different answer from someone else please. And thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms or even giardia, coccidia which are in our environment can cause changes in the gastrointestinal tract resulting in vomiting and loose stools

I will opt out to allow another to assist you but please do not respond after I have done so because it will force me to opt back in to respond. Good luck to you both, I hope she is feeling better soon...

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. Dr. Altman has already given some great suggestions to help Kolby get back on track.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. The pepcid Dr. Altman mentioned can also help.

To answer your most specific question, "What could it be?" the answer is likely "we will never know". Just like us, dogs can get GI upsets that they get over quite easily on their own and we rarely find out exactly what caused them.

Please keep us updated on how she's doing!!

~Dr. Sara