Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a rescue. 30 lbs mixed breed. When we brought her

Customer Question

My dog is a rescue. 30 lbs mixed breed. When we brought her home she had a bad cough which the vet treated, first, as kennel cough abd, most recently, as a possible lungworm infection. She has been cough free for at least a month. She is now coughing again. I am not sure if I should treat her with a OTC medicine
The cough is dry and unproductive.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I understand wanting to treat conservatively and as long as the cough remains unproductive, she is acting normal, has a good appetite then this is absolutely fine but if the cough is not resolving or she shows any other signs it is time to return to your vet. There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure a repeat of antibiotics are not warranted.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. I hope your dog is feeling better today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!