Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What I can give my 11 pound dog she was just spayed

Customer Question

what I can give my 11 pound dog for pain she was just spayed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. You really only have one option in terms of human over the counter pain killers, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as when compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example all of which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. Please note that aspirin may not be compatible with any pain killers your vet may have sent the dog home with or any pain killers given by injection on the day of the operation.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?