Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a non spayed 14 year old ShiTzu who had not had a

Customer Question

I have a non spayed 14 year old ShiTzu who had not had a heat for 2 years and recently started spotting blood. I took her to the Vet and was told after blood tests and examination that they did not think it was a heat. It has now been at least 20 days of spotting and I don't know what to do. She seems to feel good and is eating, drinking fine. She also has been recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure and is on Vetmedin and Lasix. The Vet suggested I have a $300. ultrasound done, but I am on Social Security and have to watch my money very close.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Satara has been spotting for so long at her age!

My first inclination is to do a urinalysis on her because the spotting might be related to a surge of hormones but she also might have a urinary tract infection. Even though the bleeding is not related to her urination it is something that should be ruled out and an easy fix if this is related to a vaginitis or bladder infection.

I would try increasing her water intake at this point. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or salt free broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

I would urge your vet to run a urinalysis first and foremost but also consider doing a vaginal swab for bacteria which can be related to a hormone surge as well causing her to show symptoms of being in heat.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried without success to contact you for another question.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I am not online between 9 pm - 9 am MST and often not during the day because I am seeing patients. I can definitely assist you further in this question. I am off to work now but will be back later this afternoon if you respond in any way...I can assist you regardless of whether you rate the question but it would be appreciated to be compensated for my assistance thus far