Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog just got out of heat last week and this week she s

Customer Question

my dog just got out of heat last week and this week she s bleeding again. what could be wrong with her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Does this discharge have a not so pleasant / bad smell to it? Is she acting any different at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don t smell it, and she s acting normal its a right red blood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bright red blood
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that information. That is good that she's still acting normal. I'm going to be honest here and one of the number one rule outs at this time is an infection in her uterus called a pyometra. It is classic that they start to have discharge from the vulva a week or two post a heat cycle that can be bloody. It will a lot of times progress to a more foul smelling material. The uterus was the perfect environment to start up a litter of puppies, but in those cases where bacteria get into that environment, it is the perfect place for a bacterial infection. Here is a good link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=603

Could it still be discharge associated with the heat cycle? Some can have discharge for a couple weeks with a heat cycle. If she's never had this happen before, then I would question why is it different this time. Could she have a growth / tumor somewhere in the vaginal area that is bleeding? Could the blood be from the urinary tract? Could there be some trauma back there that is causing it? Could there be a platelet issue or coagulation issue? These are all considerations. The best thing you can do is to get her to your vet for an evaluation. They can look her over and do any testing that seems necessary to get to the bottom of this. I'm going to be honest and say that a pyometra is the number one cause until proven it is something else.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Red. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she s doing fine vet said it was just her cycle but he recommended I get her fixed,
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad to hear that Little Red is doing fine at this time! I would have to make the same recommendation as your vet about her for getting her fixed. This time it wasn't the pyometra, but next time it could be. It is less expensive to have a planned spay procedure than to do an emergency pyometra surgery. Thank you for the update!