Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My shih poo 17 ilbs 8 years old ate some styrafaom rom

Customer Question

my shih poo 17 ilbs 8 years old ate some styrafaom rom bottom of a take home container and maybe some fresh ginger that was in it about 3 hours ago he is acting very normal the pieces were very thin and maybe about a couple abotu 2 by 2 inches what do you reccomend??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm not set up to take phone calls, unfortunately, but hope that this format will suffice.

More than likely, your dog continues to be fine since I wouldn't expect the amount of Styrofoam that he ingested to cause any issues, even though he's a small dog. Similarly ginger isn't toxic to dogs and can actually be given to them for stomach upset...although typically not a large amount at one time.

At this point, I would continue to monitor his stools for evidence of the offending object which may show up as early as in 12 hours or may take longer depending on how long it might stay in the stomach before moving into the intestines. He might develop diarrhea although I'll be quite surprised if he does. But if it should develop, then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice should resolve the problem fairly quickly.

I hope this helps to reassure you that he's going to be fine although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb