How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5774
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My miniature chihuahua ate grapes today. Now she's shaking.

Customer Question

My miniature chihuahua ate grapes today. Now she's shaking. Are they toxic?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How many grapes did Karmalita eat?

How much does she weigh?

How long ago did she eat the grapes?

Is she vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate two or three grapes about six hours ago. She weighs about three pounds. No vomiting, but she's shaking.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry to hear that Karmalita is shaking. Unfortunately, grapes can be toxic to dogs though we do not currently know the exact part of the grape that causes the toxicity. The smallest toxic dose that has been reported is 0.32 ounces per kilogram. This means that at 3 pounds or 1.36 kg, she would have needed to ingest about 0.43 ounces of grapes to see any signs of toxicity. Unfortunately, eating 2-3 grapes at her size could potentially be enough to cause a toxicity.

The most common clinical signs of grape toxicity are vomiting, increased drinking, lethargy, diarrhea, tremors, and abdominal pain. Grape toxicity could cause kidney disease or even kidney failure if a large enough amount of grapes is ingested. I would not consider the amount of grapes that she ingested to be a severe toxicity though she did eat enough to potentially cause some clinical signs.

At this point, I would recommend taking her to an emergency hospital tonight if possible. She really should have some blood work checked and they will start her on IV fluids to prevent any kidney disease from the grapes. Home care treatments are going to be difficult unfortunately, since she ingested the grapes six hours ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any chance she could survive this?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Since she is not vomiting, and did not eat a very large amount of grapes, I do think that her chances of survival are excellent. There is a good chance that she will have no kidney issues at all though since she is shaking I would recommend having a vet examine her, check some blood work, and start her on some fluids just to be safe.

If she ingested only two grapes and they were smaller grapes then she most likely will not be a risk for any problems at all though if she ingested 3 larger grapes there is a slight chance for some signs of toxicity.