Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My spaniel cross probably has a meniscus problem. He has

Customer Question

My spaniel cross probably has a meniscus problem.
He has lost use of one of his back legs though can put some weight on it and it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain.
The vet here has said he is too small to operate on (we are in Vietnam and have no alternative) Is there anything else we can do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When surgery isn't an option we recommend a multimodal approach which involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam, an opiate analgesic such as tramadol - most dogs not using a leg are painful unless numb instead due to myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) - and nutraceuticals such as fish oil dosed at 40 mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil - EPA is the most antiinflammatory of the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil, and glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate which admittedly we should be circumspect about considering its efficacy. Ideally, the etiology of his loss of use should be clarified but I understand the logistical constraints you have where you live. Meniscal damage is usually found in conjunction with an anterior cruciate ligament tear and that's a surgical problem.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Lynne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Findlay. How is everything going?